A plain bearing is a type of bearing that uses sliding friction to support a load. It is a simple and cost-effective solution for a wide range of mechanical applications, including motors, pumps, and conveyors. In this blog post, we’ll explore the different types of plain bearings, their applications, and the benefits they offer.
Seventy percent of mechanical applications need a bearing. I can be either a rolling element or a plane bearing. For half of the remaining 30%, rolling element bearings and plane bearings are the best options.
Types of Plain Bearings:
- Bimetallic Bearings: Bimetallic bearings are made from two different metals, typically steel and copper, that are bonded together. They are known for their high load-carrying capacity and corrosion resistance.
- Sleeve Bearings: Sleeve bearings are cylindrical and are made from a variety of materials, including bronze, plastic, and graphite. They are frequently utilized in electric pumps and motors.
- Flange Bearings: Flange bearings are similar to sleeve bearings, but they have a flange at one end that helps to distribute the load more evenly. They are commonly used in conveyors and other equipment with high-load capacity.
What are its Applications:
- Electric Motors: Plain bearings are commonly used in the rotor and stator of electric motors to support the shaft and allow it to rotate smoothly.
- Pumps: Plain bearings are used in pumps to support the shaft and allow it to rotate smoothly.
- Conveyors: Plain bearings are used in conveyors to support the rollers and allow them to rotate smoothly.
- Industrial Machinery: Plain bearings are used in a wide range of industrial machinery, including compressors, generators, and fans.
What are the Benefits of Quality Plain Bearing:
- Cost-effective: Plain bearings are a simple and cost-effective solution for a wide range of mechanical applications.
- Low maintenance: Plain bearings require minimal maintenance, and they can last for many years with proper care.
- High load capacity: Plain bearings can support a high load capacity and are suitable for heavy-duty applications.
- Versatile: Plain bearings are available in a wide range of materials and sizes, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.
Factors to consider before buying a plain bearing
To select the optimum plain bearing for that 30% of the application segment, engineers first must know the application. Other factors to consider before buying standard-sleeve-bearings or plain bearings include the initial bearing cost. You can also consider the premature costs for field replacement of bearings and shafting. And don’t forget to factor in the cost of downtime.
The engineer needs only the right type of plain bearing (bronze, split metal with various overlays, and so on). But there are hundreds of choices. Verifying manufacturer performance is a good idea before making your final bearing choice. Using it to ensure or test it from a reliable source lets you realize that what the company claims are true. Taking the assistance of an independent can save time and costs. They have the necessary testing equipment to judge the strength & constraint of standard sleeve bearings or plain bearings. They can offer the reassurance of the validity of the bearing design.
Plain bearings are a simple and cost-effective solution for a wide range of mechanical applications. They are available in a variety of types and need minimal maintenance. However, it is important to consider the specific requirements of your application, including the load capacity, speed, and operating conditions. With the right plain bearing, you can ensure smooth and reliable operation in your mechanical system. Call Canadian Babbitt Bearings at 519-752-5471 or visit https://cbb.ca/ to place your order today.